Differences Between Skilled Nursing and Memory Care: Deciding Which One is Right for You or Your Loved One
September 7, 2022
Home is the place where we feel comfort, peace, and security. When you or your loved one is considering moving to a senior living community, it’s important to understand the various levels of care so that you and your family can feel secure, supported, and fulfilled.
Memory care and skilled nursing are two distinct levels of care offered at Artman, a proud member of the Liberty Lutheran family of services. While both skilled nursing and memory care offer 24/7 medical support, the differences between them are critical to understanding which service is right for you and your loved one.
Skilled Nursing vs Memory Care
- Skilled nursing: a healthcare center with full-time registered nurses and doctors on staff, providing nursing care 24 hours a day. Skilled nursing facilities also have places to store and dispense medication properly.
- Memory care: a distinct form of skilled nursing care specialized for patients with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia-related conditions. Memory care units usually have a distinct wing or section within a residential community. Medical services are also available 24 hours a day with full-time registered nurses and doctors on staff.
Skilled Nursing or Memory Care? How to make the right decision
Skilled nursing services at Artman include
- Long-term care with 24-hour medical supervision from licensed nurses and doctors
- Assistance with activities of daily life
- Dressing, dining, bathing, and more
- Small household models to provide home-like setting
- Medication management and supervision
- Chef prepared meals
- Short term rehabilitation available including physical, occupational or speech therapy
Memory Care at Artman: Making every moment meaningful
Providing highly personalized services for individuals with Alzheimer’s and dementia-related conditions, memory care at Artman empowers residents to maintain their independence and create meaningful experiences. With Inspiring Today, Artman’s unique approach to memory care, residents live each day in the moment and participate in activities customized to their interests that promote fitness, spirituality, cognitive acuity, creative expression, social interaction and more.
Our team members help residents find meaningful moments within each day. At Artman, we truly care about the people we serve and we always provide them with the compassionate care that they deserve.
MaryAnn McLaughlin, senior director of sales and marketing at Artman
Artman’s small household models in both skilled nursing and memory care provide a home-like setting for residents and their families. At Artman, people feel the comfort, peace, and security of home.
There is always something new happening in the community!
Thank you for visiting Artman's blog. We bring you new stories from around the community, featuring residents, services, and team members. You can read more stories from all communities in the Liberty Lutheran Family of Services by clicking here.